Tadhg

Food Pictures (AKA I should have an Instagram account)

I like cooking. It's fun, even if I'm no expert. I tend not to learn recipes, but rather memorize what I can and work from the heart. I've made stir fries, baked goods(like pizza, not cake), and more, but before today, I never made hash browns. Well, I know potatoes, I know how to fry, I fucking got down to business. 

8kzGONa.jpg

Oversized and under-res'd, here's my breakfast. Hash browns with a side of the-potato-part-I-couldn't-shred, and some ham for flavor and protein. A little smokey, I say it's not bad for a first time. I've certainly ordered worse, from both fast food and diners, but I'd chalk up the diners to just being overworked, honestly. 

I've got a bit of an ulterior motive for posting here, too. I've got a habit of just entering the kitchen and cooking with whatever's there, and that's often on a budget. It was remarked to me if I just recorded myself doing that, while voicing out the steps, I could start a YouTube channel for it. And that more I sat down and ate, the more I thought that, yeah, maybe I could. Not for fame, fortune, or even my usual desire of recognition. But, because it could be fun. And it would force me to eat more, hehe.

So, furry food fanatics or furs of further flings, what do you think? Would any of you watch a YouTube channel about cooking with whatever's on hand? No recipes, no restraints. 

• Upvote 1

I know I certainly would, those hash browns look quite delicious too! I think watching you do it would be a good motivator for me to start doing the same since I enjoy it but rarely do it anymore...

I'm interested. Recipes online always have something impossible to find -- sounds like you're going to be using things people actually have. I'd watch!

Take care!

I saw something about "clarified butter." 

The fuck is clarified butter? I have stick butter for cooking and spreadable butter for toast. I'd make awesome meals on a budget. Whatever the fuck's on hand, you know? 

I'm starting to really like this idea. 

To clarify butter, melt it and the solids will sink and a bright clear liquid will float to the top.

Pour the clear stuff into something else and voila, you have clarified butter.

That said, don't ever do it. The clear stuff is all the trans fat, and the nasty looking solids are all of the nutritional parts. It's just done for looks.

What the fuck is wrong with people

Why take out the nutrition? From butter!? Like, shit's not healthy to start, why reduce it to only trans fat? 

I feel like I have a duty to undo the idiocy of cooking. Ironically by simplifying it.

What the fuck is wrong with people

Why take out the nutrition? From butter!? Like, shit's not healthy to start, why reduce it to only trans fat? 

I feel like I have a duty to undo the idiocy of cooking. Ironically by simplifying it.

To be fair, I don't think they knew. Clarified butter probably existed well before gas chromatographs... but I digress lol

I like your objective. Yes, cooking is overly complicated -- and stupid at this point. I used to watch the machinations of my poor grandmother, and mother -- gotta get that measure of crisco down to the molecule!! It really is not brain surgery! No, I don't believe you that 1/4 teaspoon of grapeseed oil in a 16-quart stock pot makes a difference. We deal with 5% tolerance in most of electronics, with many examples of 20%, 50%, even 80%. The human tongue is not more sensitive than a radio receiver.

But the foodies at work call my cooking ideas trailer-trash chow. You'd probably better not listen to me too much! :)

Take care!

I just made and ate poor hash browns. Like, most of my meal was fried potato, I just wanted to make myself feel better with some diversity. 

Maybe I'll find an old camcorder around house, or buy a cheap one. 

* keeps hitting refresh hoping for announcement of episode 1 *

Do share the secrets of youtube when you jump in. I've always been interested, but equally afraid of video production / editing.

Take care!

Haha, production, editing. I'd literally just be filming myself and posting it online. My production quality would be as shit as my cooking skills :D

Figured I might as well post my follow up attempt, this time with leftover Christmas ham and eggs. 

MDTFvSl.jpg

Darn you and your food pictures!  :D

You made me try my hand at homefries -- actually didn't turn out terrible.

Two potatoes - cut into 1/4" cubes.

One onion, diced.

Fried in olive oil with salt & pepper sprinkled on top. Not half bad in the end.

So when are you going to start publishing start-to-finish recipes?

When I feel like it

I dunno about recipes. Like, I don't use recipes, and I wouldn't know how to really write them. I think I could see about getting a recording camera--or any good digital camera I guess--for my birthday and just record myself. Like, just tell everyone the ingredients and prep to start a vid, then cook--and probably edit out the boring bits--and be all "Look, you cook how you cook--substitute oils or ingredients or whatever. Don't be afraid to fail, and don't be afraid to add more salt."

Just made some instant ramen. 

DSCI0669.JPG

But with my own seasonings. Mostly turmeric and some curry powder, but I added some Adobo, a Latino household must.