Chat Has Moved! Please see the TailsRefuge News thread for more info!- TR Staff

Welcome to Tails Refuge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Stoneheart

Stoneheart's Mustang project.

110 posts in this topic

Alright, i figured it would be fun to make a thread for this, for whoever might be interested in following along.

EUmJEBR.jpg

Yesterday i purchased a 1965 Mustang inline 6 cylinder coupe. And these are the before pictures.

2qeLres.jpg

psizTv8.jpg

n2WE453.jpg

So, as i work on it, I'll try to remember to take pictures and post them as i go. My goal is to pass safty inspection by april 10th and get plates on it to take on a road trip to see family, but we'll see.

Edited by Stoneheart

Very awesome project!

I'm excited to see how this turns out.

Best of luck, and I hope you have a lot of fun with it!

Well, after today, i've discovered the parking brake lines are dead and require replacing, and i have a couple finicky connections in the rear lighting. So, besides the obpvious need for floors, and tires, thats all i gotta get.

However, the brake fix is a couple hundred, the floors are almost 400 and tires cost as much as you want to spend...

Its going to ge a while before she hits the streets. I have a safety inspection scheduled for the morning, so, i'll know what all is wrong.

I'm a bit jealous of you having the time and skills to do that.

And a bit jealous of the car you'll have at the end, too.

Enjoy!

XD haha! Don't get too jealous. Sge just failed inspection on 20 year old tires, and wipers. And new tires are a couple hundred... Oh, and the parking brake needs replaced. Its mostly gone. After those, the floors are $350, and the oil pan needs re-sealed. $20.

So, around 1k should redo everything.

You're still going to end up with a pretty cool car at the end of it. Thinking of a new color?

*looks at the photos* Wow. What a hunk of junk. So just $1000?

I'm leaning toward fird blue metalic, or maybe a nice dark royal blue.

"Hunk of junk?" I REALLY hope you're joking, Brian... But yes, about 1k would put me about where i need to be for a solid restoration on this car as far as foundation and base go. Then its on to body and trim... Which can also get super soendy. But thats something that can be spaced out over much time.

I hate to say it man, cause I absolutely adore the '65 mustangs (even if they are a little underpowered for my liking), but that thing i is in incredibly rough shape...floorboards rusted out, countless body markins where it's on its way out, and tires that are all but scrap...there's no telling what the frame of that thing looks like on the underside, or the engine for that matter, it might run, but there's no telling how long for...fuel and oils, not to mention tranny fluids tend to go caustic long before something like the floor boards rot out...I'd fear what the inside of those cylinders look like to be honest...

if I were you, I'd drain everything, tranny, oil, fuel, brake lines before anything else, that shit gets crazy caustic after years and years of sitting (especially when it's been left to the point that floorboards are rotted out like that) tear everything open, take a look at the inside of those cylinders and see what you're dealing with, as well as get that thing up on some jacks and do a good, through inspection of the frame and chassis before you start delving into to much more than that...yeah some new floor panels and brake lines will get it 'usable', but for how long? the worst thing that can happen, as soon as you get it up to 'basic' specs, it's gonna end up throwing a rod, or blowing a seal around the headers or the pistons...I'd highly, HIGHLY suggest going through all the seals on that thing before anything else and just replacing everything you can that's organic or the old school composite, just given the state of those tires...there's probably not much else of the same material that's gonna end up holding out much longer than a handful of starts if you're lucky...

I wouldn't call it a 'hunk of junk', far from it...there's a lot of potential in a car like that, but there's gonna be countless hours to get it back to anything near what it used to be, not even trying to get it back into 'original' condition, or even a supped up version of what it used to be...It's not a bad question entirely to ask why you would go after something such as that to be honest, it's gonna cost a pretty penny to get much out of that thing, and as much as I hate to say it, you're probably gonna end up sinking more into it than the car is really worth just to get it back to what it was...

Well, i've a,ready gone through all the fluids and flushed everything. And everything came out clean except the brake fluid was slightly grey. Not even a used black colour. I have pretty solid confidence in that fact. I know the engine will need re-sealed and all before its over, but my main components are all in amazingly good shape. As for the body, its actually very solid aside from the floors and the rear fenders. The fenders only have a few holes over them, which is simple to fix.

As for the subframe, its all solid as well. Already checked that too. I've done this kind of thing before, and its not easy, but its worth it if you get a decent machine to start with. And this, is one of the better ones i've worked on.

While i appreciate the concerns, i did not post this thread fir people to pick appart what i am doing, or to criticuze it without knowing what i am wirking with, or capable of... So, I kindly ask everyone to keep the negativity to a minimum. Thanks.

I was mostly joking. It's in a pretty rough state in those pics so I was just exaggerating. Though the hole in the bottom made me go O___o

nice find man...just put a few running boards under the hole for now.

Yeah, for now she's the only Mustang in the county, possibly the state, with wood floors. XD

Five minutes, one scrap of OSB,and a saw. NEW TEMPORARY FLOORBOARD. XD

vCEfuya.jpg

Well, it seems i've run into a bit of a snag...

I thought i was gonna pull a fast one fir tires, and found a set of 4 lug Mustang rims with tires already on them, ready to install for only 150... Unfortunately they were off a foxbody Mustang.... Not compatable... The lug gap is only a whisker smaller than my originals, but its enough to render them useless...

So, looks like my only option is $90 a tire... For the actual size... One at a time per paycheck....

So yeah... Not going to make the trip in this thing... Thats the last piece of the puzzle... And its going to ground the project....

Wuff. Too bad those tires didn't work out for you. Looking forward to more updates as you get things done. And I can't wait til you get to the paint job. That car will look awesome in blue.

Yeah... But i may have found another cheap set that could fit... Waiting to hear back on exact size....

Ever hear back on that other set of tires?

And I was hoping to get to hear that engine rumble. I don't know to much about cars, but that sounds awesome.

Yeah, its only a six cylinder, with stock exhaust.. So, she's pretty quiet tight now, but i plan pto open it up so a little more voice can escape.

As for the tires, i never heard back... Cant get a response...

Edited by Stoneheart

Aww. I bet she will be beautiful when you are done with her :3 project cars like that eould be great to pass down to future kids and whatnot.

I wish I had motivation to work on my car lmao.

Well, she's ready for inspection! Got tires on finally...

Not technically correct ones, but i found another set of rim/tire on craigslist for cheap. We'll see how long i can stand to look at them before i just drom several hundred to a grand on new equipment...

Well, this is going to be basically set aside for a couple weeks. I have a few smaller projects going on the side, and i want to finish them all out so i can focus everything on the Mustang. So, in a couple weeks, i'll be buying the floorpans, and parking brake parts... Building a jig under the car to hold it straight while i replace the floor, and posting all about it play by play.

On 4/14/2016 at 10:22 PM, Stoneheart said:

Well, she's ready for inspection! Got tires on finally...

Not technically correct ones, but i found another set of rim/tire on craigslist for cheap. We'll see how long i can stand to look at them before i just drom several hundred to a grand on new equipment...

if they're that bright, obnoxious, oversized, flashy nonsense, just flat em out with plasti-dip in the meantime, it won't be 'muscle' but it won't be ridiculous blingbling rims. Plasti-dip is amazing. 

6 hours ago, Buzzwolf said:

if they're that bright, obnoxious, oversized, flashy nonsense, just flat em out with plasti-dip in the meantime, it won't be 'muscle' but it won't be ridiculous blingbling rims. Plasti-dip is amazing. 

They aren't as bad as that, actually. Just not wahat i wanted... 16" so, a livable size. And not matching. I plan on just rattle canning them black just to make them less moticable since they're just a temporary fix. At this point, i'm not certain i'll even leave them on long enough to hit the road with those wheels still on. Since i didn't end up taking it to Indiana. I might just sell that set and wait a while, and buy the right size. Havn't decided yet.