Chat Has Moved! Please see the TailsRefuge News thread for more info!- TR Staff

Welcome to Tails Refuge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Stoneheart

Stoneheart's Mustang project.

110 posts in this topic

Got the lights working... I was right, had to rebuild the socket... No biggie, wasn't terribly difficult, and i had the stuff in house. 

But, the other issue i was hoping to solve with fresh wiring, was the fuel pump... Which, unfortunately, still isn't making a peep... So, i'll be pulling that and checking it over next time i get a chance... 

For now, its time to get ready for work... 

Not sure if anyone is even still reading this....

but anyways...

pulled the fuel tank today, drained it, and discovered there is no rear fuel pump, its all driven by the oil driven pump on the dide of the engine block....

the gas was half mixed with water, rust, and other crap from the inside of the tank... No wonder i never had any power (or someone tried to kill my car with three gallons of water in the tank, cuz i don't recall there being ANYTHING in it three months ago when i checked it....)   .....

so, thats out now, and i'm planning on replacing the tank eventually... But the next step is hooking up a small test jug to the pump up front, to see if it still pumps, or needs rebuilt.... Cuz it worked just fine untill four weeks ago....

Whoa I thought this thread died

Huh the ol water in the gas tank trick, not saying I've never done that myself but it sure does work very time

The odd part, is that the water never made it to the engine.... I think there was too much rust sediment in the tank, and it clogged the pump... XD

so, next step is going to be checking that out... especially since that is also the source of the only oil leak on the machine... bad gasket, simple fix.

Honestly a fuel pump for your 300 would be super cheap anyway, that's one of the many routine things I replace on nearly any classic I get. Among other things. One easy way of testing it is pulling it off, and hand-pumping the lever. Put your finger over the input hole, and if the diaphragm inside pulls and sucks onto your finger, and doesn't let go, then the pump is good. Though again, it would probably be best to replace it regardless. A fuel pump made back in the 60s isn't exactly ideal to run present day xD

Also for your tank, you can order them on eBay for cheap, or get a universal tank if necessary. Hell, I think you might even find a tank at NAPA or ORielly's. 

I plan on picking one up from CJ Pony Parts, for $100 complete with a new pickup.

Provided i can keep commissions rolling in, i should be able to put the old girl on the road by the end of august.... But, thats the optimistic side....

Just ordered the new fuel tank assembly! Things are beginning to move again.... slowly...

The new fuel tank and hardware arrived yesterday! I'm sn excited, but sadly i got stuff to do before i can even start on it...

Just got the new fuel tank installed, and tested the fuel pump. Still runs strong! my issue, was low oil... if the oil leaks down to below 1/2 ish, it no longer has enough to drive the fuel pump, and shuts off the engine... reasonable, keeps you from running it dry and destroying the engine... but, all is well! I got her running again, and I couldn't be happier!

next step is bolstering the floor struts for extra rigidity, and then its off to paperwork and driving!!!!