Stoneheart

Stoneheart's Mustang project.

doing a recap i just realised you had a 6cyl but that is some stupidly low mileage. 

so whats next on the list of things or adventures or...? i is curious

Well, when the weather warms up, i'll be pulling the head and re-seating the valves. 1 and 6 are still leaking compression and not giving full power without serious octain boost.

Down the road, she's getting longtube headers and glasspacks. And likely tripower carbs.

So, ever since I started driving the Mustang to work, it's had a thrumming vibration that shows up under certain conditions... Thought it was U-joints for the longest time... Went to finally check them, and they were just fine....

Tns out, my transmission crossmember is missing a couple nuts on the bolts that it hangs from.... So, there's some play.... Gonna order those as soon as I sell another commission.....

Also time to start replacing vac lines. Starting to show signs of leaks that could be problematic. XD

Ok, so... Vac lines were fine....  The issue, was the ignition and carburetor....Carburetor rebuild kit... 

New ignition coil

New condnser

New distributor cap

New ditributor rotor

And, new igition points.

$150 in parts, and two weeks of pulling my hair out trying to find the issue.... We're back on the road stronger than ever.

And Monday, my speedometer cable broke. So, this weekend thats the next project... 

New speedo cable works great! Took about 10 minutes to put in. Now to just fine tune my rebuilt carb and timing. Still lacking some power. Gonna check for vacume leaks too.

Sorry this has been so dormant. I’ve been focusing on the Harley all summer. But, content will be popping up here come fall again. 

As promised!! Content is definitely on its way. I have some parts and plans to install and upload in the coming weeks. 

First oil change of the year accomplished, and drove to work for the first time since spring. Ran pretty nice. Still need to adjust the timing though. 

Well, tonight, we hit a pretty big milestone. 

10,000 ORIGINAL MILES. 

3DE4C3B7-033C-42E2-985B-92B4B0B6F8A7.jpeg

On 1/21/2018 at 11:33 AM, Stoneheart said:

So, ever since I started driving the Mustang to work, it's had a thrumming vibration that shows up under certain conditions... Thought it was U-joints for the longest time... Went to finally check them, and they were just fine....

Tns out, my transmission crossmember is missing a couple nuts on the bolts that it hangs from.... So, there's some play.... Gonna order those as soon as I sell another commission.....

Got the trans all bolted together nicely two weeks ago, and it did help.... but did not solve the problem. 

Upon further inspection, it turns out, my rear differential is basically gone.... this, surprises me, being such low miles, but does support a theory I’ve had for a couple years now....

so, this weekend I’ll be hopefully picking up a “new” complete rear end.... original part, but in pretty close to perfect shape according to the seller.... we’ll see. 

Just did the oil change this morning too. Everything came out clean. Black as hey, but no shines. This engine continues to impress me. 

It’s always come through impeccably clean. It burns badly cuz I still need to replace two valve stem seals, but that’ll be when we get warmer weather. 

I'm surprised mine doesn't burn more oil, honestly. I've been about half a quart low for a month, and surprisingly, it's stayed right there.

Just ordered new lifters for her today. So, That will be an upcoming post in the future.

Aaaaaaalright. 

So. Lifters are a no go for now. 

The refrence material I was using was mistaken. For the old inline 200 cubic inch fords, you have to pull the head to swap the lifters. On some of the larger displacement models, the pushrod ports are bored large enough to do this without pulling the head off the block.... so, not happening till later in the summer. 

However. I was able to get two more of the three remaining valve stem seals replaced. On the #1 cylinder. #6 exhaust valve still needs it, but the clips won’t release. After an hour of fighting it, I moved on. It’s not a huge problem. Just mild oil consumption. 

43F92B07-68A4-400E-ACD1-0F76B28D44FB.jpeg

48ED577F-F50F-4841-90E0-30232D218A0B.jpeg

But the fun didn’t stop there. 

When i I went to test the valve adjustment, both, YES BOTH, motor mounts decided to split. AT THE SAME DAMN TIME. 

This, resulted in tossing my engine like a toy against the right wall of the engine bay.... terrifying. 

No further damage was encurred, but it was certainly a heart attack I could have done without. 

Fairly easy replacement though. Set the jack under the oil pan, and lift the engine off the old mounts, take em off, and bolt on new ones. $16 later, perfecto. 

EC92BA2C-8105-488B-93EF-1FC7EC1B7A27.jpeg

Sorted all that in time to leave for work, and had another (hopefully final) development. This one came in two parts. 

1) valve adjustment was still not quite right, so the engine was not quite running right at full temperature. I had not gotten it all the way hot yet. 

2) left for work and went right back home believing the valves to be severely out of whack, only to find them needing very very minor adjustment. 

BUT

my trans has almost completely uncoupled from the engine!!!!!

tightening that down proper, and now she cruises smooth as glass. I’m starting to wonder how long those bolts have been walking out....

and seriously doubting the “all original” status bragged so solidly to me when I first looked at it. 

If the trans bellhousing bolts were walked out, I'd be wary that the flywheel bolts likely also lack locktite and proper torque spec, and are or will walk out as well.