Izza

How to make a character?

So...I used to RP ages ago. But I really don't remember how I used to think of characters. How do you guys come up with ideas? :\

I generally start with a simple ideal.  One defining detail about them that defines the character, and build off that. It keeps them simple enough to work with, but can be built to a depth unlimited. 

For example, I have an old badger in my cast of characters that is kinda the widened and grizzled grandpa of the club I write most of my stories about. He’s been around and seen a lot. But, unless someone is in super dire life or death danger, he’s at the clubhouse with a pint in his hand.

Capt. Patch, the group grandpa that can and will fuck your shit entirely if he has to get up. But he’ll also be more than happy to sit and listen for hours while someone vents about anything. 

• Upvote 1

Also, it’s good to see you back again. 

• Upvote 1

Hi there! Thanks for the good ideas! I will try to find a defining characteristic I can build a character around.

Thanks, it's nice to be back, too. :) I am still too nervous to write anything, but hopefully I can start by making a character...

• Upvote 1

Keep me posted on your progress, I love to bounce ideas back and forth. Maybe drop me a message via the discord channel...

For me, I take a personality trait from myself and extend it into its full potential in a character, all of my characters have been based of a part of me taken to the extreme

• Upvote 1

I pick a word or personality trait as their "core" and branch out from there.

• Upvote 1

For me, it all really depends on what the end goal is, is it a sona you're looking at creating? a character for an RP? or maybe a story? I've taken different routes pretty much for each as far as the creation goes. A lot of characters I've created for RP type stuff, is a lot of spur of the moment kinda stuff to suit the RP, ((though on occassion, I've had a few that I retrofitted existing ones with a few small tweaks to fit)) mostly leaning toward what ideas are spurred from the RP itself, what kinda adventure is it gonna be, or what kinda role do I want the character to fill, that kinda stuff.

As for more story leaning stuff of my own design, I've always found the characters sorta fill themselves out as the story's built up or pieces are developed, fitting them together to get a better picture of what exactly, and who, the character is, again with the ocassional that've been preexisting kinda fitting into it all on their own.

As for a sona? well...that one I've always found varies wildly depending on the person creating it, best suggestion for that, is draw from yourself, look inward at what sorta likes, dislikes, personality and traits to find what fits, and it can be as close to, or as far from your own personality/etc as you like as well, there's a lot of variation that can go into building them, some even just go with what they find to be 'cool' and settle on that. My sona changed four times over a few years before I found what really fit for me, and it's been that now for nine or ten years now I think. Sona's can take a bit of trial and error to figure out, characters can as well, but to a bit different extent since they're not as much an 'extension' of self.  

• Upvote 1