Existing user? Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Venya

VR in therapy

now I wasn't sure whether to put this in games or here. but this isn't really about VR itself but more like how it can be helpful. I have watched videos of trans people crying cause of VR. how they could see themselves as a different gender. how they can actually help with height problems too. but I was thinking how VR can be in sessions for like therapy like dogs can. hear me out. 

I am not transgender. but I would like to see myself as some characters in which are male. (mainly my main fursona) I would be happy to see myself in a different world too. to see myself not so much in like... a city world but in a calming more forest like fantasy world. it would calm me down allot and just... relax more. 

then I thought of ptsd. so like to relive something and maybe be able to change it in a game or simulator. so see something so horrible go wrong go right in a way. you know like.... if I confronted something myself. it might actually make me more confident more open less scared of the world.

one of the main reasons I want VR is not just for gaming but to see myself as well.. male. to see my character I made as me. because I made it. like I want to see second life in VR so I can... be confident. it counts as hiding but im always hiding behind a characters anyways thats why I made em. they are still part of me.

what do you think? should VR be part of therapy?

as a therapist, i have not seen any literature or evidence based research that suggests this is a possibility. that doesn't mean there isnt research or that there isnt some possible benefit.

part of my says this: all of disorders (except for neurocognitive, such as ADHD, Aspergers, things identified from F70 to F98.4 in the DSM5) are about thoughts and beliefs that are distorted, they do not line up with reality.  considering that, i worry VR would further thought distortions by their pull from reality.

another part of me says this: VR can create a very safe, stable, expectable environment that DOES reflect reality, giving the therapist and client time to practice scenarios through roleplay and process as it occurs as opposed to over the week or so to the next session.

Difficulty is that in order to do that you have to have some spick and span predictive and interpretive software to get the others in the scenario to respond as NPCs that act just like humans and we aren't quite there yet in terms of tech.

Now, for non-social phobias, including agorophobia, panic disorders, generalized anxiety, OCD, i could imagine it working.

body dismorphic: it wouldn't have any positive change that i can see other than escapism and running from reality.

Personality disorders probably wouldn't be effected by this as much either - most are an interpersonal dynamic that would require the human-responses of people to make progress in changes of beliefs and thoughts.

as i said, this is all me thinking, as i'm not aware of any research that supports VR as an evidence-based best practice that is approved by the APA and ACA.