ThomasTheSpaceFox

Sandbox/simulation games

I was wondering what sorts of sandbox/simulation type games people have been playing... you know, things like the sims, OpenTTD scrap mechanic, mine* block building games, etc.

Myself, i play:

• minetest, an open source minecraft clone with an actual modding API (and a wonderful train mod called 'advanced trains')
  • OpenTTD: everyone's favorite isometric transport business simulator.

(is it obvious i like trains?)

Though i sometimes watch videos on others, i.e. scrap mechanic.

What kinds of sandbox/simulator games do you play?

Terraria is the one for me. Plus Mount and Blade. I tried Minecraft but it's far too limited for me. My perfect game would be Minecraft with Terraria's system.

Ill say this much on minetest itself: its nice having mods, and not having them break with every version thanks to a proper API. also, its written in C++, and uses Luascript for mod scripting. in the sense that everything is mods. the engine won't do much of anything by itself.

Advanced trains basically takes realistic, working trains, with OpenTTD-esq automation, and 30-degree turn increments, and shoves such into a script mod for a C++ minecraft clone. Somehow all the while keeping lag to a minimum, and managing an entire track & train database and control engine, in Lua of all things. How is beyond me... XD

Edited by ThomasTheSpaceFox

also, building anything 45 degrees out of giant grid-based blocks presents an interesting design challenge... and anything other than 90 and 45 is just plain tedious... 2D or 3D...

6 hours ago, ThomasTheSpaceFox said:

Ill say this much on minetest itself: its nice having mods, and not having them break with every version thanks to a proper API. also, its written in C++, and uses Luascript for mod scripting. in the sense that everything is mods. the engine won't do much of anything by itself.

Advanced trains basically takes realistic, working trains, with OpenTTD-esq automation, and 30-degree turn increments, and shoves such into a script mod for a C++ minecraft clone. Somehow all the while keeping lag to a minimum, and managing an entire track & train database and control engine, in Lua of all things. How is beyond me... XD

The test for me for any game is that if I need mods to enjoy it then I might not stick with it long term because it tends to be lacking already.

I’m currently playing planet coaster 

31 minutes ago, braenuun said:

I’m currently playing planet coaster 

Reminds me of an old classic i havent played in YEARS.... Roller coaster Tycoon 2

1 hour ago, Red said:

The test for me for any game is that if I need mods to enjoy it then I might not stick with it long term because it tends to be lacking already.

well, calling minetest a game was slightly misleading... its more of an engine for mine* sort of games... Though, its default game, 'Minetest Game' (creative name right?) IS a tad on the lacking side, and you WILL need mods to properly enjoy it. or if you even want simple things like animals or enemies.

minetest's stable(ish) API does mean its gotten some quite impressive mods. such as mesecons. which is similar to redstone, only cranked up to 11 in complexity. Technic, which simulates electricity, and pipeworks, which simulates water pipes and pneumatic tubes.

Ive tried mod development once. even tried developing a game. never really got past learning lua though...

Gmod and Tabletop Simulator here. Especially with games like Munchkin or Emmerlaus